There is no custom code to display.

There is no custom code to display.

Cartersville Man Sentenced in 2019 Vehicular Homicide Case

March 2nd, 2021 – 5:00 PM

WBHF Radio –

(Via WBHF Radio) A man charged with vehicular homicide is sentenced in Bartow Superior Court.

Daniel Allen Jones of Sherwood Lane, Cartersville caused the accident that claimed the life of 30-year-old Phillip D. Bagley. He received a 20-year sentence, he will serve the first 6 years incarcerated and the remainder on probation.

Jones pleaded guilty to first-degree vehicular homicide, striking a fixed object, failure to report an accident, driving under the influence, reckless driving, attempting to conceal the identity of a vehicle and failure to maintain lane.  The other charges were dropped.

He was offered a sentence of 15 years, serve the first 8 incarcerated and the remainder on probation.

Judge Scott Smith cited the history of the court when offering Jones a sentence of 20 years, serve the first 6 incarcerated and the remainder on probation.

Jones accepted the sentence of less time incarcerated on more time on probation.  Jones told Judge Smith he had known Phillip Bagley all his life.

Judge Smith said this was something he would have to live with the rest of his life and he hoped Jones learned from it.

On Jan. 22, 2019, at approximately 11:30 p.m., a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt was traveling south on Peeples Valley Road, approaching Valleydale Drive.

A 2016 Mercedes Benz was traveling north on Peeples Valley Road. The Cobalt left the east side of the roadway and struck several trees.

The car then rotated, reentered the roadway, and struck the Mercedes.

Phillip D. Bagley, age 30 of Cartersville, was a passenger in the Cobalt. He was pronounced deceased on scene.

According to the GSP’s Specialized Collision team’s follow-up report, the driver of the Cobalt, Daniel Allen Jones, was transported to the Floyd Medical Center for treatment.

While at the hospital, Jones refused the state-administered blood test and left.  Jones was arrested five days later by the U.S. Marshals Service.