INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT MEMORIAL DAY
1. Memorial Day was originally called Decoration Day.
2. Decoration Day was suggested by General John A Logan, leader of a civil war veterans' association. The first Decoration Day was held on 30th May, 1868. The reason for this choice was that no battle had taken place on this day.
3. Today's participants would have recognized some of the common celebrations of Memorial Day. One the first ever Decoration Day, there were speeches and soldiers' graves were decorated.
4. By 1890, each northern state was marking Decoration Day as an official state holiday; celebrations took place on different days in the southern states.
5. The origins of Memorial Day go back to the Civil War, when more lives were lost than in any other war in US history.
6. Waterloo, New York, which held its first celebrations of the day in 1866, was named the birthplace of Memorial Day by the federal government.
7. Decoration Day evolved into Memorial Day and was gradually extended to include all American military personnel who had died in different wars.
8. Memorial Day was celebrated on May 3oth for almost a century. The date changed to the last Monday in May following the passing of the Uniform Monday Holiday Act in 1968.
9. The day became a federal holiday in 1971.
10. Some of the biggest Memorial Day parades are in Washington, DC, Chicago and New York.
11. Poppy wearing originates with John McCrae's In Flanders Fields poem.
12. An additional observance on Memorial Day is the moment of remembrance, a minute of silence at 3PM local time on Memorial Day. This became law in 2000.
Pizza Delivery Record
DHL Express has been awarded the Guinness record for the largest pizza delivery in history. Last summer, DHL transported 30,000 pizzas to American GI’s serving in Afghanistan. It was part of an effort to give the troops a taste of home for July 4th. The non-profit Pizzas 4 Patriots organized the massive pizza party.
7 Things Married Couples Should Keep Doing Long After The Honeymoon Is Over from thestir.com
1.) Holding hands: Sometimes you should hold hands like you are in middle school. We all know you graduated to sex years ago, but remember a more innocent time when his hand around yours could make you squeal.
2.) Flirting with each other: For some reason, married couples always let this one go and they need to STOP that. Flirting is the way men and women communicate. So bat those eyelashes and brush his knee in a dark theater. Let it send a thrill up your spine.
3.) REALLY listening to his stories: We have heard each other's stories a million times and tend to get bored. Well don't. Really sit and listen to his tales. Hear about his day at work and rediscover the man you married.
4.) Trying new restaurants: The kids shouldn't stop your exploration. Visit news places, eat new foods, and go on adventures. You will be much happier.
5.) Buying little gifts/flowers: When you are dating, these things are part of the package, but they quickly fall away as you get deeper into marriage. Stop that! Make it happen again. Bring home flowers for no reason or small trinkets you saw that he might like.
6.) Dressing up: Change out of those sweatpants once a week and care about what he thinks about you again. I promise it will make many things happen all over again.
7.) Butterflies: Remember how he used to make you feel? Do your best to remember that and get that butterfly feeling again. It's just appreciation, pure and simple. Nothing feels better.